I absolutely love sweet potatoes. I can eat them roasted, steamed, baked and most recently, I’ve been enjoying them as a base that I fill with all my favorites.
It’s also an AWESOME way to clean out your fridge – I’ve piled these high with all kinds of mixtures made of whatever leftover veggies, proteins and cheeses I’ve had on hand.
And honestly? I have yet to come up with a bad combination!
But this one is by far my favorite. Not only is it composed of items I almost always have on hand, but it taste amazing.
Not only are sweet potatoes delicious, but they’re a nutrient powerhouse. They provide fiber, vitamins A and C, minerals such as biotin, potassium and manganese plus they’re rich in beta-carotene making them a nutrient-dense (and affordable!) option.
As with most of my meals – this pretty one much hits every food group all in one. I love a dish that can do that which is why you see a lot of them on here. Sweet potatoes and corn are starchy vegetables meaning they act in our bodies much like whole grains, you’re getting more vegetables from the peppers and protein from the black beans, cheese and greek yogurt. So go ahead and dig in, you won’t regret it, I promise 🙂
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup tri-colored bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 wedges of lime
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Cilantro and hot sauce (optional)
- Take each sweet potato and using a knife, carefully poke holes all around on each side
- Microwave sweet potatoes one at a time for 6 minutes, turning halfway through
- Cut each sweet potato in half and smash the inside so that it lays flat and the sweet potato meat is loose. Set aside
- Meanwhile, heat a pan over medium heat
- Drizzle olive oil onto pan then add corn and peppers sautéing until just soft (about 2-3 minutes)
- Add black beans and chili powder tossing to combine well and just heat black beans
- Remove from heat and with a spoon, top one sweet potato with half the mixture repeating with the remaining about of mixture
- Squeeze one lime wedge over each sweet potato mixture
- Top each with 1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup salsa and 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- Finish off with fresh cilantro and hot sauce as desired