For those of you that follow me on Instagram, I’m sure you’ve picked up my newly re-discovered obsession with zucchini noodles.
I know these have been a thing for YEARS now, but I’ve just REALLY started to get into them (in part because it took me a while to figure out just how easy it is to use my spiralizer!)
I’ve also grown pretty attached to making my own pesto. Once you start making your own it’s really hard to justify buying it because it’s SO ridiculously easy. Five ingredients all thrown into the food processor, blended and done!
So now that my wedding is behind me, I figure it was high time to share one of my absolute favorite zucchini noodle dishes.
It’s filling, flavorful and done in under 30 minutes (which is key as I’m finishing up my Dietetic Internship and am insanely busy!).
- For the Pesto
- 1 bag fresh spinach (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh parmesan cheese
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Olive oil
- For the Zoodles
- 2 medium zuchinnis, spiralized (I usually let these sit on a paper towel for a while to get some of the excess water out, then give them one last pat with a fresh paper towel before adding to the pan)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (you can halve if you prefer, otherwise whole is fine!)
- 1 cup chopped asparagus
- 2 cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, shredded or diced
- Olive oil
- Fresh parmesan (optional)
- Place the first four ingredients for the pesto into a food processor or blender stream in olive oil until smooth and well blended
- Next, place the asparagus and tomatoes in a large pan over medium heat that has been drizzled with olive oil. Saute until just tender (about 5 minutes)
- Add the zucchini noodles and toss until just tender (about 2-3 minutes)
- Finally, add in a few spoonfuls of pesto (depending on how much you like!) and the chicken and gently toss until everything is heated through and covered evenly in pesto.
- Serve topping with a little more parmesan cheese if desired!