farro lovers rejoice! it’s no longer just a main meal food. this breakfast farro brings a nutty, delicious chewiness to your first meal of the day. done in just a handful of minutes, it’ll be your new go-to.
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1–2 tablespoons butter or earth balance
- 2 small apples, washed, cored & diced
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts, toasted (toasting is optional but highly recommended!)
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (more or less as desired, feel free to swap cinnamon if you don’t have apple pie spice)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (more or less as desired)
- 1–2 cups warmed milk
- Optional for serving: drizzle of maple syrup or honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place walnuts on a baking sheet. Toast for 5-10 minutes (being careful not to burn).
- While walnuts toast, place a large non-stick skillet over medium low heat, add butter. Once butter has mostly melted, add brown sugar, apples, raisins and apple pie spice. Saute until raisins are plump, apples are tender and the butter & sugar have thickened slightly (about 5 minutes).
- Add farro to the saute pan and mix to combine so that all the flavors meld.
- Ladle into 2 bowls then pour warm milk over each serving. Drizzle with maple syrup or honey as desired.
Keywords: breakfast, farro, apple, quick, easy