these easy tofu lettuce wraps combine some of my favorite asian flavors for an at-home vegetarian meal that will rival your favorite restaurant’s!
- 1 14 oz. block extra firm tofu, drained, pressed & crumbled (you can also use 1 lb ground turkey or chicken if you prefer)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, washed, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, washed, stemmed, seeded and diced
- 8 oz. can water chestnuts, drained, rinsed and diced
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- Olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 green onions, washed & sliced
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- For serving: 1 head of bibb lettuce, washed & dried or rice if desired
- In a small mixing bowl combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, water and cornstarch. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In another small mixing bowl, combine minced garlic, grated ginger, 1 teaspoon of olive oil and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine and set aside.
- To a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add a drizzle of olive oil. Once the olive oil is shimmering, add bell peppers and crumbled tofu. Saute for several minutes until bell peppers begin to get tender and tofu is lightly browned.
- Lower heat to medium low and use a spoon or spatula to make a hole in the center of the pan and add the garlic/ginger mixture. Mash it into the pan and let cook until fragrant (~30 seconds) then stir into the tofu/bell pepper mixture. Push the mixture to the sides of the pan making another small well in the center.
- Give the hoisin/soy sauce mixture a final whisk to ensure cornstarch or arrowroot is incorporated then add to the center of the mixture. Slowly fold the tofu/bell pepper/garlic/ginger mixture into the sauce until everything is fully coated in the sauce.
- Add the scallions, stirring to combine. Cook for another 30 seconds, add salt & pepper as desired, then remove from heat.
- Serve with bibb lettuce or over rice!
Keywords: tofu, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, bibb lettuce