these tender baked pear doughnuts are topped off with a sweet, crunchy streusel crumb making them perfect for this time of year.
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain, whole milk greek or skyr yogurt
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pear, diced (you can peel if desired but it’s not necessary!)
For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon crushed walnuts
- 4 tablespoons room temperature butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease 2 8-section doughnut pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract and use an electric beater to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir a few times to incorporate. When there are a few flour pockets remaining, fold in pears.
- Mix until just combined and pears are evenly distributed.
- Make the streusel by combining everything together in a bowl and use your hands to combine.
- Pour batter into a piping bag then pipe into the prepared doughnut pans (I find this is easiest).
- If using: add crumb to the top of each doughnut and press down gently to ensure it sticks.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until doughnuts spring back to the touch. Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
Keywords: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, pears, walnuts, cinnamon, ginger, yogurt, doughnuts