Wheat berries are a fun twist on the typical chili grain and add great hearty flavor and texture to this easy vegetarian meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper,chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 cups cooked wheat berries (cook according to package)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional Toppings: avocado, chopped cilantro, plain greek yogurt, hot sauce, sharp cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, and cook until tender (about 5 minutes), making sure to stir occasionally
- Add beans, chipotle, broth and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in cooked wheat berries and heat through, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Top with toppings of choice (see above for suggestions) and serve with corn chips.
Keywords: chili, vegetarian, black bean, easy