turning one of my favorite mains into a delicious breakfast you can whip up easily any day of the week!
- 2 eggs
- Splash of milk
- 2–3 tablespoons bell peppers, washed, cored, seeded & minced
- 1–2 tablespoons onion, peeled & minced
- 2 tablespoons canned black beans, drained & rinsed and roughly chopped or smashed
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Pad of butter
- 2 whole wheat soft tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- Optional for serving: plain greek or skyr yogurt, salsa, hot sauce, avocado, additional freshly chopped cilantro
- In a small bowl combine eggs, splash of milk, salt and pepper, whisk to combine, then set aside
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-low heat, add butter. Once butter is melted, add peppers and onion, sautéing for 3-5 minutes or until just tender.
- Add black beans and whisked eggs to the pan scrambling along with the veggies until eggs are fully cooked. Turn out onto a plate and wipe out the pan and set back on the stove, with the heat off.
- Place one tortilla down on the wiped out pan and spread 1/4 of the cheese in an even layer on one half of the tortilla. Add egg mixture on top of the cheese followed by cilantro then top with the remaining cheese. Fold other half of the tortilla over and press down. Repeat with second tortilla and remaining ingredients. (*see note)
- Cook for 3-5 minutes over medium low heat (or until cheese has begun to melt and the bottom tortilla begins to crisp and brown) then flip and cook for another 3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly, then slice into triangles and serve with desired toppings.
- I like to make my quesadillas this way because it creates a little pocket making it easier to keep everything inside. That said, you can absolutely spread one tortilla out, layer with half the cheese, top the cheese with all the eggs, top the eggs with chopped cilantro then follow with remaining cheese. Place second tortilla on top and cook that way as well!
Keywords: breakfast, quesadilla, eggs, vegetarian, mexican food