this comforting vegetarian sandwich uses just 5 ingredients. kid & adult-friendly, it comes together quickly and is delicious eaten straight up or paired with soup or salad for a perfect cold weather meal.
- 2 slices of hearty whole grain bread (sourdough also works!)
- 1/2 cup cooked broccoli florets, stems removed & roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I recommend buying a block of cheddar and shredding it yourself for the best melt)
- Pad of butter
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Spread the outside of one slice of bread with some butter then place butter side down in a large non-stick skillet or on a griddle.
- Layer half the cheese on the inside of the bread and top with chopped cooked broccoli. Sprinkle with salt & pepper as desired.
- Top broccoli with remaining cheese then sandwich second slice of bread on top. Spread outside of second side of bread with butter.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook (~3-5 minutes each side) or until cheese is melted & bread is golden brown.
- If packing for lunch: (1) Wrap sandwich in tinfoil and place in a convection oven to reheat. (2) Remove tinfoil and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 20-30 seconds on HIGH (you’ll lose a little crisp but it’ll still taste great!).
Keywords: lunch, sandwich, broccoli and cheddar, vegetarian