these easy chocolate chip zucchini walnut oat bites come together quickly and make for an easy make-ahead meal or snack during the week!
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (or raisins if you prefer)
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped walnut halves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon (more or less to your liking)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini that has had some of the excess moisture squeezed out (*see instructions)
- Preheat oven to 375’F
- Grease a mini muffin pan with cooking spray (you can also use a standard 12-cup muffin pan).
- Shred a small zucchini onto cheese cloth or some paper towels and set aside.
- Combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, chia seeds, salt, brown sugar and walnuts in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl combine egg, vanilla and milk.
- Add wet to dry mixture stirring to mix, then gently fold in shredded zucchini and chocolate chips (or raisins) and stir to combine well.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, drop into greased muffin pan (making sure to scoop up a little moisture that may have sunk to the bottom with each spoonful) filling to the rim of each cup.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown (because every oven is different, I recommend plunging a knife or cake tester into the center of the dish to test if it’s done, if it comes out clean or just a bit wet, it’s done).
- Allow to cool completely before removing from the muffin pan or they may crumble.
- Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or freezer for up to 2 months.
- Reheat in the microwave right before eating. If it seems dry upon reheating, you can add a drizzle of maple syrup after heating for extra moisture.
Keywords: oatmeal, zucchini, chocolate chip, walnuts, baking powder, milk, vanilla