this comforting vegetable curry is perfect for the fall season. loaded with flavor, easy to make and budget friendly – it’s a dish you’ll want to make over and over.
- Olive oil
- 1 cup diced peeled sweet potato
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 2–3 large carrots, peeled and cut into rounds
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1–2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large heavy duty pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the onion is browned. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the curry, coriander, cumin, and cayenne; stir for 30 seconds to toast the spices. Add the tomato paste and stir until well blended.
- Add the vegetables and saute until tender but still al dente.
- Add the broth, cinnamon stick, and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Stir in the chickpeas and cook for about 3 minutes more. Season to taste with salt.
Keywords: curry, vegetarian, easy, budget-friendly