these easy homemade peanut butter cups can be totally customized to your liking! use whatever nut butter and type of chocolate you prefer best!
- 12 oz. bag dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Coarse sea salt
- line a mini muffin pan with paper liners
- clear a large enough space in the freezer to be able to place the pan in without it tilting or tipping
- melt dark chocolate chips options for melting
- gently spoon about 1 teaspoon (about 1/4 – 1/3 of the paper liner to be filled) of the melted dark chocolate into the paper liners making sure to shake and drop the tin frequently so chocolate settles smoothly and evenly
- once all the paper liners are filled, cover the bowl of melted chocolate with plastic wrap and place the tin in the freezer for 15 minutes
- while the chocolate freezes, combine the peanut butter and powdered sugar and mix together with a hand mixer until fluffy
- when the first layer of chocolate is ready, pull the tin from the freezer and carefully spoon about 1/2 teaspoon (more or less to your liking) of the peanut butter layer over the top of the first frozen chocolate layer.
- once all chocolate layers have a peanut butter layer, place back into the freezer for 15 minutes
- after 15 minutes, remove the tin from the freeze and fill the remaining portion of the paper liner up with the rest of the melted chocolate topping with a pinch of coarse sea salt.
- place back in the freezer once more for 15 minutes.
- store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
- NOTE: it may be easier to place both the melted chocolate and the peanut butter picture into a ziploc bag and clip the tip to allow for more control over the flow into the paper liner
Keywords: chocolate, dessert, peanut butter cups