these easy whole grain cookies are an ooey, gooey and oh-so-delicious way to get your chocolate fix! made with whole grain flour, they even offer up a little fiber with each bite!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks (plus more for topping as desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat
- In a stand mixer or bowl with an electric hand mixer, add butter and sugar beating for 3 1/2 minutes until light and fluffy
- Slowly add in eggs, 1 at a time, beating 30 seconds between additions.
- Add in vanilla and beat for another 20 seconds.
- In a separate, large mixing bowl, place a sifter over the bowl and add flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into it. Use a spoon or tap the edge of the sifter to slowly sift the ingredients into the bowl.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet in 3 batches, beating on low for 30-40 seconds between additions.
- Gently fold dark chocolate chips into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Using a cookie scoop, roll ~3 tablespoons of dough in the palm of your hand, forming a ball. Place on prepared baking sheet with ~2 inches of space between. If desired, place a few chocolate chunks on the top of each cookie before baking.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes allowing cookies to cool on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to finish cooling (I found 10 minutes was the sweet spot for me).
- Cookies will keep in an airtight bag for up to 3 days on the counter and up to 2 months in the freezer.
Keywords: cookies, chocolate, dessert