these simple spicy black bean burgers come together quickly, are packed with flavor and actually hold their shape! done in just 30 minutes, they’re a perfect recipe to add to your weeknight meal rotation.
- 2 15. oz cans black beans, rinsed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (plus more for cooking)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 minced chipotle chili in adobo sauce + 2 teaspoons of sauce (more if you prefer spicier)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped orange bell pepper, washed, stemmed & seeded
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper, washed, stemmed & seeded
- 1/3 cup corn (I used canned corn that I drained, frozen would also work, I would just heat it first to begin the cooking process)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 1 shallot, minced
- Optional (but highly recommend!) toppings: cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato, onion & pickles
- Add all but 1/2 – 2/3 cup of drained & rinsed black beans to a large mixing bowl and use a potato masher or a fork to mash down until most of the beans are smashed a paste-like mixture forms.
- In a separate bowl, add eggs, tablespoon of olive oil, cumin, salt and minced chipotle pepper + sauce. Mix well to combine.
- To the bowl of mashed beans add egg mixture, remaining whole black beans, bread crumbs, bell pepper, corn, minced cilantro and shallot. Stir to combine (or just take off any jewelry and use your hands, which is what I did and found it to be much easier!).
- Take a palmful of the mixture and form into a round patty about 1 inch thick. Repeat until 6 patties have been formed.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add ~2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once shimmering, add 3 patties to the pan (or as many as you can fit while still being able to comfortable flip each) and cook for 4-5 minutes per side. Repeat until all patties have been cooked.
- Place cooked burgers on a bun with your favorite toppings and serve with a side of french fries, side salad, chips or coleslaw!
Keywords: burger, veggie burger, black bean burger, vegetarian