these easy greek walnut slides are a no-fail, no-crumble veggie burger that are a great switch up from your usual meat-based burger!
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 wheat slider buns
- Toppings: freshly sliced cucumber, tzatziki sauce, tomato, red onion, lettuce
- Place walnuts, bread crumbs, feta*, eggs, garlic cloves, oregano, salt and pepper together into a food processor and blend until well combined. Place chickpeas into the mixture and pulse until combined (it’s okay for a few chunks of chickpeas to remain).
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least one hour or overnight.
- After refrigeration, remove and spoon two tablespoons of the mixture out, rolling into a ball between the palms of your hand, then flattening to about ½ inch thick disc.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Once oil is heated, place burgers into the pan, cooking on each side until browned (about 4-6 minutes each side or until the thermometer reads 160° F).
- Additionally, you may grill the burgers. To do so: place burgers over medium heat, lower the cover and cook about 3-5 minutes. Lift grill cover, flip burgers and cook for another 3-5 minutes on the other side or until a thermometer reads 160° F.
- Place cooked burger on a wheat slider bun and top with toppings of choice. Serve immediately.
*If you want the feta to be chunkier, reserve and fold in by hand after processing the other ingredients
- Serving Size: 1 slider on a wheat bun with desired toppings
Keywords: vegetarian burger, vegetarian, burger, walnut, chickpeas