classic sausage and peppers made easier with pre-cooked chicken sausage! also loaded with fiber from veggies and whole grain pasta.
- 1 box whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 1 lb chicken sausage, halved
- 3 bell peppers
- I large onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup pasta sauce or 2 tablespoons tomato paste mixed with 1 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly shaved parmesan
- Cook pasta according to package instructions
- Meanwhile, wash, core, de-seed and slice peppers.
- Place a non-stick pan over medium heat and add olive oil, onion, garlic and pepper strips. Saute pepper strips until just tender (about 3 minutes) then remove peppers from the pan and set aside.
- Add oregano, italian seasoning, salt & pepper to the pan with the onion and garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce (or tomato paste & wine mixture) stirring to combine then simmer for 8 to 10 minutes on low.
- Halve the chicken sausages and then, in another non-stick pan pan, place sausage face down until just browned (about 30 seconds to 1 minute). Repeat on the other side.
- Add sausage to pan with the sauce and simmer for 5 minutes then add peppers, stir and serve over cooked pasta. Top with freshly shaved parmesan.
Keywords: dinner, sausage and peppers, easy, weeknight meal