this budget-friendly hearty italian vegetable soup is so satisfying and delicious, it’ll quickly become a staple in your house. perfect for a grab and go lunch or an easy dinner, it’s a go-to meal for me when the weather cools down.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled & diced small
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 cups vegetable stock (more as desired depending on how brothy you like your soups!)
- 1 15. oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 handfuls kale or spinach, stems removed, roughly chopped or torn
- 1 15-oz. can garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo or brown rice, cooked (~2.5 – 3 cups cooked)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Recommended for serving: basil pesto, freshly chopped basil & fresh shaved parmesan
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute (until just fragrant).
- Add onion, bell peppers, zucchini and mushrooms followed by Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Cover, lower heat to medium-low and cook for ~5-7 minutes until veggies are fork tender.
- Add vegetable stock and diced tomatoes then bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in orzo or rice and garbanzo beans, stirring to combine. Allow to simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in kale or baby spinach, stirring gently until it begins to wilt (~1-2 minutes).
- Season once more with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, then top with basil pesto, freshly shredded parmesan and chopped basil. Serve with a slice of crusty bread.
Soup will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: soup, vegetarian, chickpeas, lunch, dinner