this protein-loaded vegetarian chili comes together quickly making it a perfect weeknight dish for the cooler temps!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2–4 bell peppers, de-seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chili powder <– warning, this makes it VERY spicy!! use less if you prefer a milder spice!
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can low-sodium garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can low-sodium red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can low-sodium vegetable broth
- Optional: Plain greek yogurt, reduced fat mexican blend cheddar cheese, avocado
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add bell peppers and garlic to pot; sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes (or more, just until it has thickened to your liking).
- Garnish with optional toppings of choice and serve with tortilla chips!
The low-sodium beans and vegetable broth are optional. I choose to use these because I don’t like a ton of salt and have gotten used to their taste. If you prefer the non-low sodium versions, go for it! Or, add a pinch of salt to the pot while cooking.
- Serving Size: 4, 1 bowl servings
Keywords: chili, dinner, vegetarian