these easy breakfast cookies combine whole grains, fruits & veggies for a nutritious breakfast or snack!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice (or cinnamon)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil (coconut oil or avocado oil will work as well)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (honey will also work)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1 cup grated, peeled apple (about 2 small) – *see note
- 1 cup grated, peeled carrot (about 2 large)
- 1/2 medium zucchini, grated & excess liquid squeezed out in a cheese cloth
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Combine flour, oats, baking soda and apple pie spice in a large mixing bowl, whisking to combine, then set aside
- In a separate small mixing bowl, combine beaten egg, oil, maple syrup, vanilla and mashed banana. Whisk well.
- Fold wet into dry ingredients stirring until just combined then fold in grated carrot, apple and zucchini. Mix using a rubber spatula (I just use my hands!)
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop into balls, rolling each one then placing down on parchment lined baking sheet. Repeat until all remaining batter has been used – **see note
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned (I found 13 or 14 minutes was the sweet spot for me)
* No need to squeeze out the excess liquid from the apple, it helps moisten the cookies
** Cookies don’t have a lot of spread so you can place them with just 1/2 – 1 inch between each
These freeze well for up to 2 months in an airtight container. Pull out as needed the night before and defrost on the counter in an airtight container OR simply defrost in the microwave.