roasted brussel sprouts and caramelized onions combine with four different kinds of cheese to bring a burst of flavor to this easy, wholesome pasta bake!
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta (such as penne)
- 16 oz whole fresh brussel sprouts (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 medium onion (or 2 small), diced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 2/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup finely shredded fontina cheese
- 1/3 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and grease a large casserole dish.
- Halve brussel sprouts then toss with minced garlic, salt, pepper and a hefty drizzle of olive oil then place on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned and tender. Keep oven on once removing brussel sprouts as you’ll use it in the last step.
- While brussel sprouts roast, cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Once pasta is cooking, place a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat and add another hefty drizzle of olive oil. Add onions and sauté until they are a nice golden brown color (about 10 minutes). Once cooked to golden brown, remove from heat & set aside.
- Mix together shredded mozzarella, fontina & parmesan cheeses and set aside.
- Drain pasta, place back into the pot and drizzle with olive oil. Add in roasted brussel sprouts and caramelized onions. Fold in ricotta with a rubber spatula making sure everything is coated with the ricotta. Add most of the cheese mixture (reserving a handful or two for the topping) and toss to combine.
- Pour entire mixture into the prepared casserole dish, top with remaining cheese and pop back into the oven until cheese melts (about 5-10 minutes depending on your oven).
Note: If saving some for leftovers, drizzle with olive oil after reheating as pasta can dry out a bit.
Keywords: brussel sprouts, onions, pasta, cheese, olive oil