root vegetables are roasted until just tender then paired with whole wheat couscous. chicken apple sausage and dried cranberries add the perfect hint of sweetness for a dairy-free quick weeknight meal everyone will love!
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 1 cup chicken broth or water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 package chicken apple sausage (I used Boar’s Head), sliced into rounds
- 1 large or 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 2 parsnips, peeled & sliced
- 1 cup shaved brussel sprouts
- 1 turnip, peeled & cubed
- 1/2 large or 1 small red onion, diced
- 2–4 tablespoons dried cranberries
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil.
- On one baking sheet, add sweet potatoes, turnips and parsnips. Drizzle with a little more olive oil, top with salt & pepper and toss to combine, spreading back out into a single layer.
- On the second baking sheet spread onions and brussel sprouts. Drizzle with a little more olive oil, top with salt & pepper and toss to combine, spreading back out into a single layer.
- Bake sweet potato tray for 25-30 minutes or until fork tender and lightly browned, tossing halfway through.
- Bake brussel sprout and onion tray for 15-20 minutes or until brussel sprouts are just browned, tossing halfway through.
- While veggies roast, combine couscous with broth or water, butter and salt and cook according to package instructions.
- In a large non-stick saute pan over medium heat, place sliced chicken sausage and cook until just browned on each side (~3 minutes per side).
- Serve separately tossing the dried cranberries with the roasted veggies, or in a large bowl combine couscous, roasted vegetables and chicken sausage and dried cranberries tossing to combine.
Keywords: dinner, grain bowl, easy meal, chicken sausage, couscous