these lightly sweetened, kid-friendly rustic apple muffins aren’t fancy but they are absolutely delicious. coming together with just 12 ingredients and in about 25 minutes, they’re perfect for the fall season!
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (all-purpose and whole wheat pastry flour will also work)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plain or vanilla siggi’s yogurt (I’ve used both 0% and 4% varieties with success)
- 3–4 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled & diced
- Optional for topping: oats, additional sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease or line a 12 cup standard muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, apple pie spice and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract. Use an electric beater to combine.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir a few times to incorporate. When there are a few flour pockets remaining, fold in apples.
- Mix until just combined and pears are evenly distributed.
- Scoop batter into 10 of the 12 prepared muffin cups (filled just below the top rim).
- If using: sprinkle with oats or additional cinnamon.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until a cake tester or knife inserted in the center comes out clean (or with just a few wet crumbs.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
Keywords: white whole wheat flour, apples, apple pie spice, cinnamon, yogurt, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, muffins, apple recipe