these easy chili comes together without a lot of effort and is a great thing to throw together over the weekend and eat all week! pair with cornbread, tortilla chips and all the toppings for a simple, comforting meal.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (I used a mixture if red, yellow and orange)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-oz. can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & cut into 2 inch cubes
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Recommended toppings: shredded cheese, greek or skyr yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro, avocado, hot sauce
- In a large skillet, heat ~1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. To the skillet add onion, pepper and minced garlic, stirring frequently, cooking for about 3 minutes or so until just softened. Add turkey and cook, using a wooden spoon to break it up and stir occasionally.
- Once turkey is nearly all browned, add tomato paste, salt & pepper cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Add turkey to the crockpot along with diced tomatoes, drained & rinsed beans, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Give it all a good stir then place the crockpot on HIGH for 4 hours.
- While the chili cooks, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the diced sweet potatoes on the parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Toss to ensure the potatoes are fully coated then bake for 20-25 minutes (or until sweet potatoes are tender to the touch and lightly browned). Remove from the oven and set aside (you’ll add these to the chili in the last 30 minutes of cooking).
- With 30 minutes left of cooking, add sweet potatoes, stirring to combine.
- When crockpot is done, scoop out chili and add desired toppings.
- Chili will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge and 4-6 months in the freezer.
- Recipe adapted from Delish.
Keywords: ground turkey, kidney beans, black beans, chili powder, peppers, onion, chili