this easy dish cooks quickly and combines hearty vegetables with black beans for a meatless dish that even the biggest meat lovers will enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cup farro
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium medium sweet potato, peeled & cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, washed, de-seeded & diced
- 1 medium zucchini, washed & diced
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen works!
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 oz can low sodium black beans
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder, divided (less as desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups mexican-blend cheese
- Olive oil
- Optional toppings: freshly chopped cilantro, plain yogurt, avocado, hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F
- Combine farro and vegetable broth in a pot and cook according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain off excess liquid and set aside.
- While farro cooks, placed cubed sweet potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder, salt & pepper to taste. Toss to coat the potatoes then place in the oven for 25-30 minutes (or until potatoes are fork-tender). Once cooked, remove from the oven and set aside. Turn the oven heat down to 375 degrees F.
- While farro & potatoes cook, place 1 teaspoon olive oil in a non-stick sauté pan over medium heat and add garlic, pepper & zucchini. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until veggies are just tender. Add onions, corn, black beans, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, salt & pepper to taste. Toss to coat all the vegetables. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until onions are cooked.
- In a large bowl, add cooked farro, cooked sweet potatoes, cooked veggie and bean mixture, salsa and 1 cup of mexican blend cheese. Toss to combine and distribute all ingredients individually.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, remove from the oven and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Place the oven on BROIL and put the casserole back in for 2-3 minutes or until cheese on top is bubbly and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10-15 minutes, then serve with toppings of choice.
You can add 1 cup cooked shredded chicken to this dish if you desire. Just toss it into the large mixing bowl when mixing all the other ingredients.
Dish will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: farro, mexican, whole grain, vegetarian, baked