this simple lasagna utilizes store-bought marinara and just a handful of other ingredients for a family-friendly dish that you’ll want to make over and over again.
- 1 lb. lasagna noodles
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 15 oz. container ricotta cheese
- 16 oz. block of mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. block parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, minced (plus more for serving).
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 16 oz. jars marinara sauce (we love Newman’s Own)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and set a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, ricotta, all but 1 cup of mozzarella, all the parmesan, all the basil, salt & pepper. Mix well to combine. Set aside.
- Add the lasagna noodles to the pot of boiling water and cook for about 4 minutes (you want them even less done than al dente). Drain and rinse with cool water so you can separate any sticking together. Utilize a drizzle of olive oil as needed to help separate and prevent further sticking.
- Spoon a small amount of sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan then top with noodles (avoiding any major overlap).
- Top with ~1 cup marinara sauce followed by 1/4 of the entire cheese mixture. Add another layer of noodles and repeat this process 3 more times, ending with the last of the noodles (depending on the size of the noodle & baking dish, you may have a few noodles left over) and another 2/3 cup or so of sauce. Top with reserved 1 cup mozzarella (and additional parmesan if desired).
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place baking dish on top (this helps prevent any overflow from burning to the bottom of your oven). Cover the baking dish loosely with aluminum foil and bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Uncover, raise the temperature of the oven to 450 degrees F and bake for another 15 minutes (or until cheese is golden brown on top and edges are crispy).
- Top with additional chopped basil as desired. Allow to cool before slicing.
Keywords: lasagna, noodles, pasta, baked pasta, cheese, marinara