this easy tomato basil margherita pizza comes together quickly and is loaded with flavor all while using just a handful of ingredients!
For the pizza dough (recipe from NYT cooking):
- 2 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 4.5 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the pizza:
- 1–2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 3–4 large slices fresh mozzarella fresh mozzarella
- Small handful fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 3–4 slices beefsteak tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Optional: drizzle of balsamic glaze
For the pizza dough:
- Put 1 3/4 lukewarm water in a mixing bowl. Allow to sit for 2 minutes, or until yeast dissolves.
- Add flour, salt and olive oil, mixing well until flour is incorporated and dough forms (~5 minutes).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until it looks smooth (~3 minutes).
- Cut dough into 4 equal pieces and seal individually in a ziploc bag. For best results, refrigerate for several hours (or even better, over night). You can use immediately but the texture is much better when it has a chance to chill.
- If chilling, allow dough to sit at room temperature on a parchment or silpat-lined baking sheet (cover with a clean kitchen towel). Then roll out, top and bake (each ball makes about a 10 inch pizza).
For the pizza:
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Roll or stretch the dough out and place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Layer sauce, fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil on top, then drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is browned on the bottom and lightly browned around the edges.
- Top with additional basil and a drizzle of balsamic glaze as desired.
Keywords: dinner, pizza, tomato basil, pizza margherita