this vegetarian soup comes together in less than 30 minutes and is hearty, satisfying and packs a load of nutrients and vegetarian-protein.
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, peeled & diced small
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) package refrigerated spinach & cheese tortellini
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach, stems removed
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped (~1 cup)
- 1 medium carrot, chopped (~1/2 cup)
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/3 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For topping: freshly shredded parmesan cheese, chopped fresh basil, crusty bread
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute (until just fragrant).
- Add onion, carrots & celery followed by Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Cover, lower heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes until veggies have softened (about 10 minutes).
- Add vegetable stock and tomato sauce then bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in tortellini, then cover and cook for ~5-7 minutes (until tortellini is tender).
- Add in spinach, stirring gently until it begins to wilt (~1-2 minutes) then add in chickpeas and whole milk (a non-dairy option will also work).
- Season once more with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, then top with freshly shredded parmesan and basil. Serve with a slice of crusty bread.
- Soup will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
Keywords: soup, lunch, dinner, vegetarian