- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery stalks, sliced (~1 cup)
- 3 large carrots, peeled & chopped (~1 cup)
- 1/2 small onion, minced (~1/2 cup)
- 2–3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 1–2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat orzo (rice or pasta would also work)
- 2 cups shredded turkey (chicken also works!)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional for serving: freshly minced basil and shredded parmesan
- Place a dutch oven over medium low heat and add butter. Allow butter to melt then add celery, carrots and onion cooking for 5-7 minutes or until they start to get tender.
- Add garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and stir to combine. Then add chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes (until vegetables are cooked to your liking)
- Remove from heat and stir in orzo and turkey. Add additional salt & pepper, to taste.
- When ready to serve, top with freshly minced basil and parmesan as desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in a freezer safe bag in the freezer for 4-6 months.
Keywords: soup, thanksgiving leftovers, turkey soup, lunch