made an at-home version of my favorite amy’s roasted vegetable pizza. coming together in just about 30 minutes, it’s a perfect dairy-free, meatless dinner option for busy weeknights!
For the Sweet Onion Sauce:
- 2 large onions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt & pepper
- 2/3 cup water
For the Pizza:
- 1 lb fresh whole wheat pizza dough (store-bought works, or see below for a homemade recipe!)
- 1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 jar of roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
- 3.2 oz container of shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1–2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Fresh herbs (such as basil), minced
- 1–2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
For the Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (for the bread machine):
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2/3 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- While the oven preheats, make the sweet onion sauce. Place a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add olive oil, allowing it to heat for 1 minute, then adding onions, brown sugar and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook on medium-low heat for 10-12 minutes, (stirring occasionally for even caramelization), then add water to the pan to deglaze, cooking another 10-12 minutes or until all the water has evaporated. Remove mixture from the pan and transfer to a food processor, processing until mostly smooth.
- In the same pan you cooked the onions, add a teaspoon or two more of olive oil and sauté the garlic over medium-low heat until just fragrant (30 seconds – 1 minute) then add the mushrooms, sautéing until just tender (~2-3 minutes).
- Roll out the pizza dough to desired thickness then add to a lightly greased pizza pan (a baking sheet also works, it doesn’t have to be round!).
- Top pizza dough with sweet onion sauce followed by mushrooms, roughly chopped roasted red peppers, and roughly chopped artichoke hearts (note that you may not use all the vegetables – add as much or as little as you prefer).
- Bake for ~20 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with balsamic glaze and a sprinkle of fresh herbs and serve!
Whole Wheat Pizza Crust (for the bread machine):
- Add ingredients in order listed and place bread machine on “pizza dough” cycle. Remove, roll out and top
Keywords: vegetarian, vegan, dinner, pizza