this easy vegetarian pizza sub is a fun new way to enjoy your the flavors of your favorite veggie-loaded pizza! done in just minutes and completely customizable based on what you have on hand.
- 1 wheat sub roll, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled & minced
- 5–7 thinly sliced zucchini rounds
- 5–7 thinly sliced summer squash rounds
- 1 –2 bunches fresh baby spinach, stems removed
- 5 thinly sliced red onion rings
- 7–10 slices bell pepper
- 3–4 thinly sliced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
- Dried oregano
- Salt & pepper
- Marinara sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil to a large non-stick sauté pan over medium low heat and gently sauté zucchini, squash, spinach, onion and pepper (about 1-2 minutes, until just tender). Set aside.
- Add minced garlic to 2-3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Lay sub roll open and brush both sides with the garlic oil.
- Spread ~2 tablespoons sauce on either side of the roll.
- Top either side with half the fresh fresh mozzarella.
- Layer on sautéed veggies and tomato then top with shredded parmesan and remaining fresh mozzarella.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes (or until cheese is melted and sub is toasted).
- Remove from the oven and top with dried oregano or freshly minced basil, salt & pepper.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Keywords: sub, vegetarian, lunch, pizza