put my favorite black bean brownie base to work in these easy and delicious whole grain brookies! to make it even easier, you can use your favorite boxed mix or store-bought cookie dough!
For the Cookie Dough:
- 1 stick salted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour (can also use all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
For the Brownies:
- 1 15.5 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate baking chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Lightly grease an 8×8 inch pan and line with parchment
- Cream butter and sugars in a stand mixer adding in eggs and vanilla and mixing until creamy and smooth
- In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt then add to wet mixture
- Fold in chocolate chips then set aside
- Next, combine all ingredients except for the chocolate chips for the brownies in a food processor and process until smooth
- Fold in chocolate chips then pour brownie batter into the prepared pan using a spatula to spread evenly in the pan
- Scatter pieces of cookie dough over the brownie batter (you will have some left over) and press down gently allowing the brownie batter to come up around the cookie dough
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife comes out (mostly) clean of batter (you may see some melted chocolate from the chips).
- Allow to cool 10 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool an additional 5-10 minutes n a wire cooling rack then slice into bars.
- To ensure the middle cooks, it’s best to bake the brownies for 20-25 minutes uncovered, then bake for an additional 10 minutes with a tinfoil tent allowing the center to cook but ensuring the cookies don’t burn. Finish off for a final 5 minutes in the oven uncovered.
Keywords: brookies, bars, dessert, brownies, cookies