this easy banana chocolate chip yogurt skillet cake is made in one pan and is so tender and delicious you’ll have a hard time keeping it around for long!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cake spice (*see note)
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (all-purpose would also work here)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup plain greek or skyr yogurt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in the skillet on the stove top over medium low heat (being careful not to let it burn).
- Remove from heat and in the same skillet, add the sugar, vanilla, egg, cinnamon, cake spice (if usig), mashed bananas & salt. Whisk well to combine.
- To the skillet add baking soda, baking powder and flour. Using a rubber spatula carefully fold to incorporate the dry ingredients (this part can get a little messy so if you don’t like mess, put a towel under the pan to catch what falls).
- Once the dry ingredients are mostly incorporated, fold in yogurt followed by the chocolate chips until everything is well combined.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean (or with just a few wet crumbs). Since every oven is different, you may want to start checking at around 35 minutes to ensure you don’t over cook it.
- If you do not have cake spice on hand, you can either just omit it or sub in 1/2 tsp more of ground cinnamon.
Keywords: cake, banana, skillet cake, chocolate chip, whole grain