these whole grain muffins are bursting with lemon flavor for a lemon poppy seed muffin that can rival your favorite bakery’s!
- 3 cups white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups plain greek or skyr yogurt
- Zest of one lemon (about 1 heaping tablespoon)
- Move your oven rack to the lower middle position and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line or grease a 12-cup muffin pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and poppy seeds
- In a separate bowl or bowl fitted to a stand mixer, add butter and sugar. Cream until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes)
- Add lemon zest and beat for another 30 seconds
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds in between additions.
- Add yogurt and beat for another minute or until combined
- Add dry ingredients to the wet in 4 portions, gently mixing between additions (you don’t want to over mix or muffins will be tough)
- Using a cookie scoop, spoon batter equally among the cups (batter will be thick and gooey and the cups will be very full, that’s ok because that’s what gives you a nice muffin top!)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester or knife comes out mostly clean or with just a few wet crumbs
- Turn muffins out onto a wire cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Keywords: muffins, lemon, poppy seed, whole grain, breakfast, brunch