these super fluffy whole grain pancakes are loaded with lemon flavor making them the perfect breakfast to usher in spring! serve with a pad of butter and drizzle of maple syrup for a breakfast the whole house will love!
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup 2% greek or skyr yogurt (ricotta would also work)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (~2 tbsp.)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups milk
- Zest of 2 lemons
- Butter for greasing the pan
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine egg, yogurt (or ricotta), canola oil, juice of lemon and 1 1/2 cups of the milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Gently fold in zest once combined. Using the other 1/2 cup of milk, slowly stream into the batter 1/4 cup at a time until desired consistency is reached (*see note)
- Heat a griddle or place a non-stick pan over medium heat on the stove top. Add a small pad of butter to grease.
- Add 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the batter to the griddle or pan. Once small bubbles have started to form around the entire pancake, flip. Repeat until all remaining batter is used.
- These pancakes can be very thick. If you like that, no need to add additional milk! If you like a thinner pancake, go ahead and stream it in until batter is fairly thin.
- Pancakes will keep for up to 4 days in an airtight container in the fridge or up to 2 months in a freezer safe bag in the freezer.
Keywords: breakfast, pancakes, morning, spring, easy meal, whole grain, lemon