soft cooked apples are blended with creamy oats, apple pie spice and crunchy walnuts for a breakfast version of apple pie containing whole grain oats, heart-healthy fats, fiber and tons of flavor!
- 1 cup rolled or old fashioned oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 2 cups water or milk
- 1/2 cup chopped apple
- Toppings: soft cooked apples and 2-4 tablespoons roughly chopped walnuts
- In a non-stick saucepan combine oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, apple pie spice, water or milk and diced apple.
- Turn stove to medium high heat and when oats begin to bubble, begin stirring. Lower heat to medium low and continue to stir frequently (turn the heat down if they begin to stick to the sides of the saucepan). When the majority of the oats are gelatinous and the apples are fork tender, remove from the heat.
- If eating immediately, divvy up into two bowls and top each with soft cooked apples and chopped walnuts.
- Oats will keep in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: breakfast, apples, oatmeal, apple pie, vegetarian