these fluffy baked chocolate glazed doughnuts are a close rival to your favorite doughnut shop version and are easily made at home!
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons plain whole milk greek or skyr yogurt (I used siggi’s 4%)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
For the Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F and grease two 8-doughnut doughnut pans (or use mini doughnut pans!)
- Add flour, coca powder, baking soda and salt together into a sifter and sift through into a bowl. Add sugar and whisk to combine then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine beaten egg, vanilla, greek yogurt, milk and oil and whisk to combine.
- Add wet to dry ingredients and gently fold using a rubber spatula until just combined
- Add everything into a piping bag (or a ziploc bag) then cut the tip. Pipe batter into prepared dough pan filling until you’ve reach just below the very top. Repeat for remaining batter. *(see note)
- Carefully lift and drop the pan several times on a hard surface to allow batter to settle.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8 minutes or until the doughnuts spring back after you touch them.
- Remove and cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes on a wire cooling rack then turn out and allow to cool another 5-10 minutes.
- Once cooled, mix together powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Place a piece of parchment paper under the cooling rack then carefully dip fully cooled doughnuts into it on both sides replacing back on the rack to allow the glaze to set.
- Once glaze has set, enjoy!
* You don’t have to use this technique to get the batter into the pan, I find it’s just much easier.