red lentils combine with kale, quinoa and creamy yogurt for a delicious vegetarian meal that’s as comforting as it is easy to make!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, minced
- 3–4 large carrots, peeled & chopped
- 3–4 stalks celery, washed & chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled & minced
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, washed, seeded (if desired, to reduce heat) and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1–2 cups roughly chopped kale leaves, stems removed (baby spinach would also work here)
- 1/3 cup plain or lactose-free siggi’s, plus more for serving
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped, plus more for serving
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Next add minced onion, chopped carrots and celery to the pot and cook until just tender (~7-8 minutes).
- Once tender, add minced garlic, shallot and jalapeno and cook another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add ginger, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper to the pot and stir to combine. Then add broth, water, tomatoes, lentils and quinoa. Stir then turn the heat to high, bringing the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pot and cook for 20-30 minutes, until soup has thickened.
- Uncover, turn the heat back up to medium and add chopped kale. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring, or until kale has wilted.
- Remove from heat, stir in yogurt and fresh cilantro leaves. Add additional salt & pepper as needed then serve!
- Soup will keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container in the fridge.
- If you want to freeze the soup, omit the addition of the yogurt and cilantro, instead stirring both in after you’ve defrosted your portion from the freezer. Add 2-3 tablespoons yogurt and 1-2 tablespoons fresh cilantro for a one portion serving. Soup will keep for 4-6 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
Keywords: stew, quinoa, kale, lentil, vegetarian, soup