this easy taco skillet dish will quickly become a weeknight favorite of yours! made all in one pan with just a handful of ingredients, it’s as delicious as it is simple to pull together and is a total crowd pleaser!
- 16. oz ground turkey (chicken will also work or you can just double up on the beans!)
- 1 8oz. package taco sauce (such as Frontera) * see note
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn, drained
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups shredded cheese (such as cheddar, pepper jack or colby jack) ** see note
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: plain greek or skyr yogurt, salsa, avocado, fresh chopped cilantro or hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Place an oven-safe skillet (such as a cast iron skillet) over medium high heat and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add turkey and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Cook until turkey is nearly all browned then add taco sauce (see notes if you can’t find taco sauce), black beans and corn. Toss until well combined.
- Turn off heat and add half the cheese. Toss to combine (this ensures the whole skillet is cheesy, not just the top) then add final layer of cheese on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes (just until cheese melts and start to bubble).
- Remove from the oven and top with desired toppings. Serve with chips for scooping.
- * If you don’t have taco sauce, you can utilize a mixture of chipotle in adobo sauce, 4 cloves garlic minced, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoons ground cumin, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 – 1 teaspoon sauce from chipotle in adobo sauce, 1 minced chipotle in adobo sauce pepper, 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce and 1 14 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes. Mix everything together and add to ground turkey halfway through cooking, allowing the sauce some time to cook. You can also use taco seasoning or salsa!
- **I recommend utilizing a block of cheese and hand shredding versus buying pre-shredded cheese as pre-shredded cheese has anti-caking agents in it that prevent maximum melt
Keywords: taco skillet, dinner, turkey taco skillet, easy meal