there’s nothing fancy about these easy bars. just 10 ingredients and one bowl is all you need! free of added sugars and packed with whole grains, they’re kid & adult-friendly and work anytime of day!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (can omit if using salted almond butter)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium bananas, peeled & mashed (see note)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup almond butter (plus more for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bananas, oil, egg, vanilla and almond butter and beat with an electric mixer or a stand mixer until well combined (you can also whisk manually if you have it in you!)
- Once the wet ingredients are well mixed, add flour, oats, baking soda, salt (if using) and cinnamon to the bowl and gently fold until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet using a rubber spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a knife or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean (a few wet crumbs are okay)
- Bananas should be almost overripe with plenty of brown spots – this will yield a sweeter loaf. If your bananas are not ripe or you prefer a sweeter bar, add 3-4 tablespoons packed brown sugar.
- Bars will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 2 months.
Keywords: bar, breakfast, whole grain, healthy, banana, almond butter