there’s nothing fancy about these easy bars. just 10 ingredients and one bowl is all you need! free of added sugars and packed with whole grains, they’re kid & adult-friendly and work anytime of day!Print
there’s nothing fancy about these easy bars. just 10 ingredients and one bowl is all you need! free of added sugars and packed with whole grains, they’re kid & adult-friendly and work anytime of day!
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (can omit if using salted almond butter)
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 medium bananas, peeled & mashed (see note)
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup almond butter (plus more for drizzling)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease an 8×8 inch baking pan
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bananas, oil, egg, vanilla and almond butter and beat with an electric mixer or a stand mixer until well combined (you can also whisk manually if you have it in you!)
- Once the wet ingredients are well mixed, add flour, oats, baking soda, salt (if using) and cinnamon to the bowl and gently fold until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet using a rubber spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a knife or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean (a few wet crumbs are okay)
- Bananas should be almost overripe with plenty of brown spots – this will yield a sweeter loaf. If your bananas are not ripe or you prefer a sweeter bar, add 3-4 tablespoons packed brown sugar.
- Bars will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for 2 months.
Keywords: bar, breakfast, whole grain, healthy, banana, almond butter