this easy soup comes together quickly and is full of italian flavor! serving up protein and fiber with each bite, it pairs perfectly with hearty, salty crackers for a winter meal that will warm you from the inside out!
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled & diced small
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (I love McCormick’s)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped (~1 cup)
- 2 medium carrot, chopped (~2/3 – 1 cup)
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach, stems removed
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 2–3 cooked Italian chicken sausages, sliced (can also omit or sub your favorite vegetarian sausages)
- 1/3 cup 2% or whole milk (can also sub soy milk)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- For garnish: freshly shaved parmesan cheese & freshly chopped basil
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds – 1 minute (until just fragrant).
- Add onion, carrots & celery followed by Italian seasoning, salt & pepper. Cover, lower heat to medium-low and cook for ~10 minutes or until veggies are fork tender.
- Add vegetable stock and tomato sauce then raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for ~10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in chicken sausage, then cover and cook for ~5 minutes (until sausage is heated through).
- Add in spinach, stirring gently until it begins to wilt (~1-2 minutes) then add in beans and milk (a non-dairy option will also work). Stir to combine.
- Season once more with salt and pepper, as needed.
- Ladle into bowls, then top with freshly shredded parmesan and chopped basil. Serve with crusty bread or crackers.
- Soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Keywords: soup, lunch, sausage, white bean, spinach