this comforting warm harvest grain bowl combines wild rice with hearty roasted vegetables, chickpeas and creamy feta cheese for a winter bowl you’ll come back to time & time again!
- 1 cup wild rice (brown rice, farro or quinoa would also work well!)
- 1–2 handfuls kale, stems removed, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup roasted brussel sprouts halves (see recipe below)
- 1 cup roasted sweet potatoes cubes (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed (warm roasted chicken also goes well here)
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 2–3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1–2 tablespoons walnuts, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dressing of choice
For the Roasted Veggies:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Halve brussel sprouts and peel sweet potato, cubing into 2 inch pieces
- Drizzle parchment paper with olive oil (~2 tsp) then place prepared veggies in a single layer. Add another drizzle of olive oil, then toss to coat the veggies.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Roast for 20-30 minutes or until veggies are just fork tender.
For the Bowl:
- While veggie cook, prepare grain of choice.
- In a large bowl, layer wild rice, kale, roasted brussel sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes, chickpeas, feta cheese, dried cranberries and walnuts.
- Sprinkle with salt & pepper as desired, then toss salad with dressing of choice and enjoy!
- I like to cook my rice in the Instant Pot. To do so, I combine 1 cup wild rice with 1 cup cold water then, with the valve in the “sealed” position, I set to cook on High Pressure for 15 minutes. Allow to sit for 10 minutes to naturally release pressure. Fluff with a fork, then serve.
- You can choose to massage the kale (mix kale leaves with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and a pinch of salt, then massage with your hands for 3 minutes or until leaves are tender) or you can just chop small and toss well once the salad is dressed.
Keywords: lunch, vegetarian, grain bowl, kale, easy meal