these meatless quesadillas are loaded with flavor the whole family will love and come together quickly, making them a great weeknight staple meal!
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (I like La Tortilla Factory)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup yellow corn (I used frozen that I simply warmed in the microwave)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cooking spray
- Optional toppings: plain greek yogurt, hot sauce, salsa, avocado
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with tin foil sprayed with cooking spray*
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the sweet potato and cut into chunks
- Place on the foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes (turning halfway through) or until potatoes are softened. Set aside
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking oil
- Place the whole wheat tortilla down and 1/4 of the cheese, half the sweet potato, 1/4 cup of the corn and 1/4 cup of black beans**
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over and cook on each side (flipping carefully) for about 3-4 minutes (or until just browned).
- Repeat the above with the remaining ingredients
- Slice each quesadilla in half, top with optional toppings of choice and enjoy!
* If you don’t want to roast the sweet potato, you can always quickly nuke it in the microwave (I poke about 4 holes on each side, then microwave on HIGH for about 6 minutes each side. Simply slice open and scoop half the inside out into each quesadilla)
** I had to mix the cheese, corn, black beans and sweet potatoes around a bit so that the cheese held all the ingredients together and everything didn’t come flying out upon flipping
- Serving Size: 1 quesadilla
Keywords: quesadilla, meatless, black bean sweet potato quesadilla, vegetarian quesadilla