these quick and easy quesadillas come together fast and are filled with satisfying flavor.
Quesadillas are a new [old] discovery for met lately.
I’ve always known about them but for whatever reason they weren’t a “go-to” for me.
Which is especially weird considering I pretty much ALWAYS have the ingredients on hand.
I think I have my 7-year old niece to thank for helping me remember them. She’s on such a cheese quesadilla kick lately that she actually ordered one for breakfast. And then the next day I made her one for lunch and we ended up going out to dinner together that same night to a Mexican place and what did she get? A cheese quesadilla. She’s a crazy person and I adore her for it.
I’m not sure if she’s ready for these quesadillas yet…but I’ll get her there (for now I’m celebrating that she’s no longer too sacred to try avocado with her…you guessed it, cheese quesadilla). You all, on the other hand should most definitely be ready for these. They’re simple, they’re delicious and they super inexpensive PLUS they’re pretty dang healthy. Hard to beat that if you ask me!Print
these meatless quesadillas are loaded with flavor the whole family will love and come together quickly, making them a great weeknight staple meal!
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (I like La Tortilla Factory)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup yellow corn (I used frozen that I simply warmed in the microwave)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Mexican Blend cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Cooking spray
- Optional toppings: plain greek yogurt, hot sauce, salsa, avocado
- Preheat oven to 425 and line a baking sheet with tin foil sprayed with cooking spray*
- With a vegetable peeler, peel the sweet potato and cut into chunks
- Place on the foil-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes (turning halfway through) or until potatoes are softened. Set aside
- Place a non-stick skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking oil
- Place the whole wheat tortilla down and 1/4 of the cheese, half the sweet potato, 1/4 cup of the corn and 1/4 cup of black beans**
- Fold the other half of the tortilla over and cook on each side (flipping carefully) for about 3-4 minutes (or until just browned).
- Repeat the above with the remaining ingredients
- Slice each quesadilla in half, top with optional toppings of choice and enjoy!
* If you don’t want to roast the sweet potato, you can always quickly nuke it in the microwave (I poke about 4 holes on each side, then microwave on HIGH for about 6 minutes each side. Simply slice open and scoop half the inside out into each quesadilla)
** I had to mix the cheese, corn, black beans and sweet potatoes around a bit so that the cheese held all the ingredients together and everything didn’t come flying out upon flipping
- Serving Size: 1 quesadilla
Keywords: quesadilla, meatless, black bean sweet potato quesadilla, vegetarian quesadilla