In talking with people about eating well, one of the main things I often hear from them is that they’re just too busy. They can’t find the time to prepare satisfying meals at home so they just grab something out.
Something that I believe so strongly in is the fact that you absolutely can eat satisfying meals at home and it doesn’t have to mean slaving over the stove all day to make it happen (hello 5-ingredient whole wheat pesto spaghetti with sautéed veggies and chicken sausage that saves my life at LEAST once every two weeks) .
As I’ve said before, there are little shortcuts here and there that you can take to make your life 1000x easier and still get an incredibly satisfying meal.
For example, while I’d absolutely love to always be able to make my own pizza dough or pesto sauce or even tomato sauce there are MANY a night where it’s just not feasible.
For those weeks that I know I’m just going to be swamped – I pick up things like store-bought pesto, jarred tomato sauce and enchilada sauce and ya know what? I feel 100% okay about that.
While I might get a little more sodium and sugar than I would had I had the time to make those things from scratch, I’m almost always getting less than I would have had I gone out to eat and been served a gigantic portion alongside chips and refried beans and a gigantic plate of mexican rice.
I can also control the fact that I only put cheese on top, use whole grain (wheat or corn) tortillas and fill the inside with all white meat chicken breast. Things that you don’t necessarily get to request while eating out.
So go ahead and enjoy this super fast, easy meal and feel good knowing that, even with a few shortcuts, you’re STILL making a nice, wholesome meal that’s providing you fiber from whole grains, lean protein from all white meat chicken and black beans and even some starchy vegetables from the corn. Not only will it serve you well for dinner tonight, but it can also feed you (and your family!) for a few more nights to come!
Not a fan of meat? Try my easy black bean and corn enchiladas – they’re just as simple and super tasty!
- 7 whole grain tortillas (either corn of whole wheat)
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 bag frozen sweet yellow corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 15.5oz. can reduced-sodium black beans
- Cooking spray
- 1 10oz. bottle or can of enchilada sauce
- 1-2 cups reduced-fat shredded mexican blend cheese
- Optional toppings: plain greek yogurt, avocado and fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Grease the bottom of an 9x13 inch baking pan
- Top chicken breasts with salt and pepper to taste then bake on a baking pan lined with foil for 10-15 minutes or until fully cooked
- Meanwhile, drain can of reduced-sodium black beans and set aside
- Pour half a bag of frozen sweet yellow can into a non-stick skillet sprayed with cooking oil and top with freshly ground black pepper
- Cook corn in the skillet until just soft then add drained black beans sauteing until warmed through. Remove from the head and set aside
- Shred the cooked chicken with two forks and combine in a large bowl with black beans and corn
- Remove tortillas from the bag and fill each with a the chicken, black bean and corn mixture then roll up and place seam down in the greased 9x13 inch pan.
- Continue filling the tortillas until you have run out of filling or tortillas (or room in the pan) then evenly drizzle the enchilada sauce over the top until all the tortillas are covered.
- Finally, sprinkle with mexican blend cheese then bake in the oven on 350 just until cheese melts
- Top with optional toppings of choice then serve