So the other day I was googling ‘green smoothies’ because, no matter how hard I try, I’ve never had the ability to create a green smoothie that was actually green. They always taste delicious, but they come out a gross brown color.
About halfway through my googling, I came across the secret to creating a green green smoothie.
It seems so ridiculous because it’s SO simple, but I’m telling you, it made all the difference for me.
Their basic formula is as follows:
2 CUPS LEAFY GREENS + 2 CUPS LIQUID BASE + 3 CUPS RIPE FRUIT
I actually modified mine slightly from that basic formula but it still came out great.
I can’t wait to experiment with different varieties now that I’ve got the color thing down…the possibilities are endless! Not to mention the whole thing takes about 5 minutes from start to finish…hard to beat that for a drink that offers protein, fruits, vegetables, vitamins, minerals and fiber!Print
the base of this easy green smoothie is made up of just 4-ingredients and you can add/swap ingredients as you like to customize it to your preferences & needs!
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 2 frozen medium bananas (I just peeled, placed in a ziploc bag and froze over night)
- 1 cup fresh, whole strawberries
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- Optional add-ins: nut butter, yogurt, chia or hemp seeds, granola, etc.
- Add frozen banana and strawberries to a food processor and process until completely combined
- Add 2 large handfuls of spinach to the blender or food processor and process until well combined.
- While processing spinach, stream in milk (as much or as little as needed to reach desired consistency)
- Throw any optional add-ins into the mix that you’d like and process until smooth.
- The more spinach you add, the more green the smoothie will be.
Keywords: smoothie, breakfast, vegetarian, snack, toddler-friendly