basic chocolate chip cookie bars are taken up a notch with the addition of crumbled pretzels and caramel bits for the salty sweet dessert dreams are made of.
Okay for all those who asked (and waited patiently!), the day is here! I got the caramel chocolate chip pretzel cookie bar recipe from my sister!
These bars are literally the PERFECT blend of sweet and salty – it’s like trail mix but in cookie bar form. In the words of Ina Garten, “How bad can that be?”
I’ll tell you – not bad at all. These things are HEARTY so they’ll last you a while. I recommend popping a few in the freezer to be able to pull out when you want one. They’re best served warm (with a little ice cream!) anyway so it works out perfectly.
Freezing a few of them also ensures that they won’t all get eaten on your before you get your fill 😉
Chad, Owen and Ollie were all hovering over me while I opened the package of these babies so I knew I would have to tuck a few away before they all got eaten (not that Owen and Ollie would be able to…but Chad definitely can!)
I won’t ramble on about these babies any longer because I know all you really want is the recipe! So without further ado, I present to you, the recipe for these caramel chocolate chip pretzel bars straight from my sister!
caramel chocolate chip cookie bars
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup mini pretzels broken into small pieces
- 1/2 cup caramel bits
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9×13 pan with foil or parchment paper
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine melted butter and sugars and beat until smooth
- Add eggs and yolk one at a time, beating until combined, then add vanilla
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! Stir in chocolate chips, pretzels, and caramel bits
- Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes
- Cool on a wire rack.
Leave a Reply