I was craving tacos the other night but wanted something a little on the lighter side and out of that craving was born these chicken taco lettuce cups!
I absolutely love the chicken lettuce cups at Chinese restaurants and the idea of making a taco version of them got me really excited.
These come together so easily and there’s minimal cooking involved which makes them perfect for the warmer weather that’s been hitting us hard here in Charlotte.
You can also easily whip up the chicken and black beans over the weekend and then utilize the filling all week long in different ways! I love any multi-tasking dish because I don’t love eating the same thing meal after meal.
Once you pull together the filling for these, you have the ingredients on hand for burritos, burrito bowls, tacos, salad, quesadillas – there are so many different ways to serve this up which makes it a perfect “make it once and eat all week” type of meal.
You’re also getting double protein thanks to the chicken and black beans (and even a little from the sprinkling of cheese!), veggies and heart-healthy fat from the avocado.
These are quick and easy and super delicious. I promise they’ll become a new favorite to work into your dinner rotation!
- 1 head of bibb lettuce, washed
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 2 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 15 ounce can lower sodium black beans
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Toppings: mexican-blend cheese, diced avocado, plain greek or skyr yogurt, chipotle hot sauce, pico de gallo
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, chili powder, paprika and cumin and mix well with your hands to
- Wash your hands well then place a saute pan over medium heat
- Add olive oil once the pan is hot then toss in minced garlic stirring with a spatula until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add chicken mixture into the pan and using a spatula to move around and break up the meat, cook until no longer pink (or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F)
- Add black beans into the pan tossing to combine and warm the black beans (about 1-2 minutes)
- Top the chicken and bean mixture with salt and pepper to taste
- Lay pieces of bibb lettuce out onto a tray or cutting board
- Scoop about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of the mixture into each of the lettuce cups then top with desired toppings