scrounging up the last of my weekly groceries to make a balanced dish!
I don’t know about you guys, but Friday is always the day when I’m out of most items I’ve prepped, my groceries are super low and if I don’t get creative with what I have left on hand, I’m out of luck for a mid-day dish!
In case you missed it on Instagram stories, I took you all along while I pulled out whatever remaining groceries I had on hand and scrounged up this delicious meal. Often these meals end up being some of my favorite ones and this was no exception. Loaded with protein & fiber – this quick and easy dish was a meal I’d gladly make again.
If you like this idea, I’ll try to do it more often! If not, enjoy this one!
cheesy veggie & egg stuffed sweet potato
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup broccoli florets, stems removed & chopped
- 2 tablespoons red onion, diced
- 1 handful fresh baby spinach
- 2 large eggs
- 1 splash milk
- 1 slice mozzarella cheese (1/4 cup shredded would work too)
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- With a knife or a fork, carefully pierce the sweet potato on all sides. Place in the microwave for 3 minutes then flip and cook for another 3 minutes (sweet potato is done when it’s tender to the touch – see note)
- While the sweet potato cooks, add a drizzle of olive oil to a non-stick pan over medium-low heat. Add washed & prepped tomatoes, onion & broccoli and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until just tender. Add spinach and continue to cook until spinach is wilted (about 1-2 minutes).
- Crack eggs into a bowl and add a splash of milk. Scrambled with a fork then add eggs over the veggies and turn heat to medium. Use a rubber spatula to flip eggs to ensure they cook on all sides. Once eggs are cooked, turn off the heat & add cheese, stirring to melt the cheese & combine.
- Once sweet potato is cooked, slice open, mash the insides down with a fork (feel free to remove some to make room for the eggs) and add the scrambled egg mixture. Top with salt & pepper and serve with a piece of fruit!