If you foliow me on Instagram you already know what’s coming.
Is there anything better than homemade black bean burgers?
Until yesterday, I wouldn’t have been able to answer that question.
Can you believe that?
This has been a summer of kitchen-self discovery. And you know what I’ve realized?
My kitchen-self has been kind of lame up until now.
I feel like every other post I write is about how I’ve never tried the easiest things.
Luckily though that’s all changing. And not a moment too soon into my 27 years.
The best part about these little guys (aside from them being vegetarian, healthy and delicious) is that they take just minutes to make from start to finish.
And then you’re left with these delicious little patties that you can throw onto a toasted whole wheat bun with pepperjack cheese, avocado, lettuce…
and a generous dollop of Chipotle Adobo Dipping Sauce (yeah, I just changed the name, I like it this way better. that’s the beauty of making up your own recipes) –
These will most definitely become a regular item in our house.
I’ve heard people say once you have homemade veggie burgers, you can’t go back and I never believed them…until now.
Spicy Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Adobo Dipping Sauce
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or more depending on desired heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg + 1 egg white, beaten
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking Spray
- Chipotle Adobo Dipping Sauce
- Combine olive oil, garlic, onion and beans in food processor; pulsing until beans make a thick paste.
- Transfer bean mixture to a separate bowl and add in ingredients from breadcrumbs to eggs, stirring gently until completely combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide burger mixture into four equal sections (I just did this roughly with my hands) and form into patties.
- Spray a heat-proof pan with cooking oil and place over medium-heat. Add patties cooking 3-4 minutes on each side or until bottom and edges are slightly browned.
- Serve on toasted whole wheat buns with lettuce, avocado, pepperjack cheese and Chipotle Adobo Dipping Sauce