I finally perfected my whole grain apple cider snack cake!
I’ve been dying to get this one right to share with you guys. I’m so happy I waited to share it with you guys too because this was definitely the best one yet!
Every bite of it literally feels like a mouthful of everything autumn. Cider, spice and warm, chunky apples. Plus it’s super moist. It literally just melts in your mouth which isn’t always easy to say of a whole grain baked good!
I’m kind of so in love with this cake that I want to request it for my next birthday. I bet it would be awesome slathered in an apple cider glaze.
For now though, I’m thoroughly enjoying this, sans apple cider glaze and I feel 100% happy about it!
- 1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 heaping tablespoon plain greek yogurt
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1-2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Line an 8x8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl and set aside
- Combine cider and oil in glass measuring cup and set aside
- Beat butter, greek yogurt and sugar together until creamy
- Add eggs, one at a time mixing until all ingredients are just combined (be careful not to overmix or the cake may be tough)
- Add flour mixture alternating with cider mixture to the butter mixture in 3 batches
- Gently fold in chopped apples
- Add cake batter to the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes or until springy when touched and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center.
inspired by food & wine